Identifying Temple University Dissertations & Theses
1) Find full-text dissertations online on the Temple University Electronic Theses & Dissertations page. Offers easy searching and effective browsing. Beginning in August 2008, all newly awarded Temple PhD dissertations will be available here. Some from May 2008 are also included here.
2) Proquest Dissertations & Theses @ Temple University is a subcollection of Proquest Dissertations & Theses that contains just Temple University dissertations and some masters theses. Temple dissertations are available in PDF full-text from 1980 to present. Many also available in full-text before 1980.
3) Use Diamond (Library Catalog) to search for dissertations and theses completed at Temple. (note: While the library should hold all PhD dissertations, it does not hold all Masters theses.) Find print or electronic formats.
Do a Keyword search using the following format:
"temple university theses" [your keyword(s) here]
Comprehensive Search for Dissertations & Theses: National & Intl.
1) Proquest Dissertations & Theses (1861-present)
Covers the period from 1861 to the present. Abstracts begin in 1980. Twenty-four page previews begin in 1997 (although many previews are available for the pre-1997 period). Includes disssertations and theses from North American and European universities. Searchable by Keyword, Author, Title, School, Subject, Abstract, Advisor, Degree, and Language.
Proquest Dissertations & Theses @ Temple University is a subcollection that contains just Temple University dissertations and some masters theses. Temple dissertations are available in PDF full-text from 1980 to present. Many also available in full-text before 1980.
2) NDLTD (Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations)
Supports "electronic publishing and open access to scholarship in order to enhance the sharing of knowledge worldwide." Search tool for finding electronic theses and dissertations available through universities around the world.
3) General Sources
These sources should be searched (in addition to Proquest Dissertations & Theses and NDLTD) in order to do a comprehensive search for dissertations and theses:
- Google / Google Scholar
(You might want to use the term dissertations OR theses along with your other keywords in your search.)
- WorldCat / WorldCat.org
(WorldCat Tip: In Advanced Search, scroll down to Subtype limits, change Any Content to Thesis/dissertation to limit to this content type.)
(WorldCat.org Tip: In Advanced Search, scroll down to Content, change Any Content to Thesis/dissertations to limit to this content type.)
Summon provides access to dissertations and theses through Proquest Dissertations & Theses, Diamond: The Libraries' Catalog, and the NDLTD (Networked Digital Library of Theses & Dissertations). Summon searches the full-text of Temple dissertations available in Proquest Dissertations & Theses@Temple University.
(SUMMON TIP: On search results screen, on left side, under Content Type, check the box for Dissertations.)
4) Subject-Specific Sources
Many subject-specific research databases, including ATLA, EconLit, ERIC, PsycInfo, and MLA International Bibliography, index dissertations. Ask A Librarian for help in determining if there is a subject-specific database that includes dissertations in your discipline. You can also find subject specific databases in Database Finder.
Ask a Librarian!