Hathi Trust Digital Library is a digital preservation repository and access platform. In response to the coronavirus pandemic there is temporary, limited access to about 40% of Temple's print collection -- which is normally not available due to copyright restrictions. Note: books are checked out for one hour to one person at a time. See https://www.hathitrust.org/ETAS-User-Information for more details about borrowing.
For books that are available, you will see either a link to "Full View" or to "Temporary Access". "Full View" should take you to a scanned copy of the full-text of a book (or journal.) "Temporary Access" takes you to another screen like the one below where you click on "Check Out" to view the text if it is available. (Books are checked out for one hour to one person at a time.)
Abouty HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service (ETAS)
What is the HathiTrust Digital Library?
The HathiTrust Digital Library developed out of the Google Books project. Academic libraries whose books were scanned by Google were given digital copies of those scans. The original participants created the HathiTrust and invited other academic libraries to join.
What is the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service (ETAS)?
This service developed as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic when academic libraries closed and their print books became inaccessible. It provides temporary access to the digital versions of print books held in the collections of HathiTrust member libraries.
How does it work?
- Our access is based on a match of the OCLC number in their collection with the records that we send them. We have recently sent a new update of our collection that HathiTrust will process on May 1, 2020. If there is no exact OCLC match, there is no access.
- For books that you check out on Temporary Access, you can only download one page at a time.
- Simultaneous access is based on how many print copies of a particular work we have. If we have one matching copy, then we get one simultaneous access; two copies, two, and so forth.
- If a person is still using a Temporary Access book after an hour, it will automatically renew.
- The only way to update records is through the formal update process. HathiTrust will not fix any problems incrementally.
How do you search for Temporary Access books?
- First, make sure you are logged in. If you are logged in you will see Member in the upper right corner of your screen. You have to be logged in as a member to take advantage of ETAS. If you go through the links above and through the library website, you will be connected to the Member login like other databases.
- In the simple search, be sure that Catalog and Full view only are selected. Then enter the title of the book in the search field and search. This should be sufficient for most titles. You can take advantage of the dropdown menu to search individual fields (author, title, ISBN, and a few others) if you have any difficulty. (NOTE: capitalize boolean AND and OR in simple search)
- If the book is available in ETAS, click on Temporary Access.
- On the following screen click on Check Out.
- You will have access to this digital copy for one hour. If you are still using it after one hour it will automatically renew