Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Selected Publications of Charles L. Blockson
Curator Emeritus of the Charles L. Blockson Afro-American Collection
- African Americans in Pennsylvania: a history and guide. Baltimore, Md. : Black Classic Press, 1994.
- African Americans in Pennsylvania: above ground and underground, an illustrated guide. Harrisburg, Pa. : RB Books, 2001.
- The ballad of the Underground Railroad. Bloomington, Ind.: AuthorHouse, 2008
- Black genealogy. Baltimore, Md.: Black Classic Press, 1991.
- "Black Samuel Fraunces," Patriot, White House Steward and Restaurateur Par Excellence
- Catalogue of the Charles L. Blockson Afro-American Collection: a unit of the Temple University Libraries. Philadelphia, PA: Temple University Press, 1990.
- A Commented bibliography of one hundred and one influential books by and about people of African descent, 1556-1982: a collector's choice. Amsterdam: A. Gerits & Sons, 1989.
- "Damn rare": the memoirs of an African-American bibliophile. Tracy, Calif. : Quantum Leap Pub., 1998.
- "Escape from slavery: the Underground Railroad," The National Geographic Magazine, vol. 166, no. 1, July 1984, pp. 3-39.
- The Haitian Revolution: celebrating the first black republic. Virginia Beach, Va. : Donning Co. Pub., 2004.
- Hippocrene guide to the Underground Railroad. New York: Hippocrene Books, 1994.
- The Journey of John W. Mosley: an African-American Pictorial Album. Philadelphia, PA: Quantum Leap Publishers, 1992.
- The Liberty Bell era: the African American story. Harrisburg, PA: RB Books, 2003.
- Pennsylvania's Black history. Philadelphia, PA.: Portfolio Associates, 1975.
- Philadelphia 1639-2000. Charleston, S.C.: Arcadia, 2000.
- Philadelphia's Guide: African-American State Historical Markers. Philadelphia, PA: Charles L. Blockson Afro-American Collection, 1992.
- The President's House revisited behind the scenes: the Samuel Fraunces Story. Eubank, Kansas: Still Publications, 2013.
- "Sea changes in the Sea Islands: nowhere to lay down weary head," The National Geographic Magazine, vol.172, no. 6, December 1987, pp. 735-763.
- The Underground Railroad. New York: Prentice-Hall, 1987.
- The Underground Railroad in Pennsylvania. Jacksonville, N.C. : Flame International, 1981