- Data-Planet Statistical DataSets / provides online access to the following highly respected finding aids for statistical data:
There many volumes of statistics, covering a wide range of topics, in the Paley Reference Stacks area. Some examples of volumes in this area include:
- Business statistics of the United States, 11th Edition / edited by Conelia J. Strawser, 2006. Also Available Online (Temple Only)
- Portrait of Health in the United States: Major Statistical Trends & Guide to Resources / Lanham, MD : Bernan, 2001. Also Available Online (Temple Only)
- Statistical Abstract of the United States / Washington : U.S. G.P.O., 1879- . Also Available Online
- Statistical Abstract of the World, 3rd Ed. / Annmarie Muth, editor. Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Inc., c1994- .
- Yearbook of Labour Statistics, 62nd ed / Geneva : The Office, 1936- . Geneva : The Office, 1936-
- Yearbook of Tourism Statistics / Madrid : World Tourism Organization, c1986- .
- Dictionary of Statistics & Methodology: A Nontechnical Guide For the Social Sciences, 3rd ed. / Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Sage Publications, c2005.
- Finding Statistics Online: How to Locate the Elusive Numbers You Need / Paula Berinstein ; edited by Susanne Bjørner. Medford, NJ : Information Today, 1998.
- International Encyclopedia of Statistics / edited by W. H. Kruskal and J. M. Tanur. New York : Free Press, c1978.
Online Statistical Resources:
The Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR), of which Temple is a member, provides access to a vast archive of social science data sets, which Temple users can directly download. Topics include Social Institutions and Behavior: (Economics, Education, Family, Community and Urban, Mass Political Behavior); Health Data, Organizational Data; and Government Structures and Policy.
All data sets, a total of more than 6200, have been cataloged and can be searched for in Diamond, the library's online catalog. To locate a data set on a specific topic, do a keyword search in Diamond, using as your search terms 'ICPSR" and a subject term. For example, if you wanted to locate data about racism, you would do a keyword search using 'ICPSR'and 'racism' as your terms; this will produce a list of 7 data files. To see a list of all ICPSR datasets in Diamond, click Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research.
The Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR), of which Temple is a member, provides access to a vast archive of social science data sets, which Temple users can directly download. A wide range of topics are included: Social Institutions and Behavior: (Economics, Education, Family, Community and Urban, Mass Political Behavior); Health Data, Organizational Data; and Government Structures and Policy. All datasets have been cataloged and can be searched using Advanced Library Search on the library homepage. To locate a dataset on a specific topic, 1) select Advanced Library Search, 2) enter one or more keywords in the boxes, 3) select Dataset as the RESOURCE TYPE (when you click the empty box to the right of the words RESOURCE TYPE, you will see a list of different types including Datasets); 4) when you do the search, you will retrieve a list of datasets all of which contain the keywords you entered in the search boxes. For example, if you wanted to locate data about arrests, you would enter the keywords Arrests and data , and select Datasets as your Resource Type. When you click the Search button, you will receive a list of 161 datasets, all of which contain the keywords you entered in the search boxes: Arrests AND Data. When you click the Online button of any of the Datasets, you will be taken to a page with information about the dataset and a Download button.
For further information, consult the Research Guide Finding and Using Data from ICPSR