Zotero is a free, open-source software program to help you collect, organize, cite, and share research. It is a full-featured desktop/laptop tool that can be synced across your devices.
Download Zotero at https://www.zotero.org/download/
For installation, follow the step-by-step instructions on the Installations and Settings page or view the video tutorials below.
(If you are just creating a few references, consider the ZoteroBib tool for formatting citations.)
Benefits of using Zotero
- Automatic download of a PDF or webpage snapshot with citation information.
- Automatically proxy urls for easy off-campus access to resources
- Annotate a PDF and add notes to any source
- Easier to cite sources consistently
- Cite as you write with Google Docs, MS Word and LibreOffice word processors
- Cite in APA, MLA, Chicago Manual of Style, and other styles and switch instantly among styles.
- Automatically generates list of references from citations
- Drag a citation into an email or other web page
- Organize and find faster with collections and sub-collections (folders), tags, and linked notes.
- Dynamic drag and drop interface
- Full-text searching and "smart" searches
- Collect and organize many file types, including text, ebooks, images, audio, videos, interviews, and data.
- Collaborate on shared libraries with Groups
- Save time and money. It's Free!